Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to fix Gotham... New segment called Doctor Bryan fixes stuff

    Well, it's been a while since I last posted. Sorry about that. Funny, it always feels like I am apologizing for not writing. But that's not why I am writing today. No, I am back because I am now a doctor. Well, theoretically a doctor. Well, theoretically a TV doctor. Well, not really a paid TV doctor, no just a dude who watched a half season of the meh show Gotham. There will be Spoilers ahead. So go at your own pace.
                             
   Now don't get me wrong, I liked some parts of Gotham. As a Batman fan , I really saw it as a cool way of fleshing out the character of Jim Gordon.  By all means, the idea of seeing how corrupt the old pre Batman Gotham Pd was. But  it feels like something's a miss. I don't know if I am the only one who feels this way , but I just want to share my opinions on how this show could be better and maybe ease the stress of maybe another slightly disappointing half season. 

This is pretty much how I would have done it. 

1. Gordon is brand new to GCPD , instead of being partnered with Bullock so soon. Maybe in like Batman year one, he is partnered with an unsympathetic to the audience,corrupt cop who maybe set Gordon up , like the Penguin issue or another. Someone who try to make Gordon fall in line but put him on the righteous path. So then later down the line , when he meets Harvey. Who would be a beat down former take on the world bullheaded idealist After some back and forth of the " you can't beat city hall" type bullshit.  So there would be tensions between the two and there could be a few episodes of Gordon doubting Harvey's loyalties because he is so stubborn. 

2. Bruce needed to a bit older. Look I like young Bruce and Alfred's chemistry. It's a high point for the show. But if Bruce was maybe 16 or 18 so he is just angry and getting ready to leave. Gordon could have been given a cold case "the Wayne murders" as a way of keeping him away from uncovering so dirty dealings in the pd. So when Jim and Bruce meet they have an uneasy relationship because Gordon is bring up some bad memories. But what we don't know is that Bruce has been secretly doing his own investigations. So by the end of the season, Gordon could uncover Bruce's hidden motives which sends Bruce over the deep end and he takes off. But like I said Bruce and Alfred are very good in this. This is just because we know who Bruce is about to become, this would just be a starting line.




3. I am not a fan of Edward Nygma. I don't know if it's who his character was written or the actor. He comes off as a creepy wiener. We all know Eddy Nygma as someone who used to be an inventor not as a that fancy c word that means works with dead people for the police. Which is oddly close to what they have Barry Allen doing on the new flash show. But whatever, he isn't an important enough character yet. So why should we know his last name. His identity could have been exposed a little later. So every interaction with him, Gordon or Harvey could have addressed him as Ed or Eddy. Which could have irritated him slightly and at in a later episode we could have seen a small break in Ed where he says " My name is not Eddy! It's Edward Nygma. But don't worry soon you'll never forget my name again." 

4. Harvey Dent aka Two Face and Thomas Elliot aka Hush , should be Bruce's age. For years Batman fans knew both Harvey and Tommy as Bruce's childhood friends. But I the show we see Tommy as a school yard bully who is the biggest pussy and Dent as pretty much an established D.A . I know the show isn't really about Bruce and his overall journey.  Even though it kinda is. These two could be used as a conscious for Bruce. Harvey being the good side (with a hidden darker side) and Tommy being the bad side (but played very low key) like he says stuff that doesn't come off as bad but it has terrible consequences. 


5. The female roles needed to be written by a female. Barbra and Montoya are possibly the two worst characters on this show. It's like they have Skyler White  and Lori Grimes in a lesbian relationship. Which would sound super offensive. If they didn't have Barbra and Montoya in a lesbian relationship. I get that it's a progressive world and having same sex couples in prime times shows is actually pretty cool. But they way that it's handled was poor. It feels that it was just put there last second. It should have been a slow build. They make mention to a prior relationship in an earlier episode so it looks like Montoya's dislike of Gordon more personal then professional. But when the Penguin issue is resolved Montoya and Gordon seem to be fine.  So her going behind Gordon's back makes no sense and cuts out her morale high ground, which she has been throwing in our face all season.
  This is getting two paragraphs. The problem with Barbra, is that she is so paint by the numbers basic. If she was anymore basic , she would have on yoga pants, uggs and a pumpkin spice latte. Boom, take that seasonally relevant joke. But seriously  when her character was in slight peril, I knew exactly what she was about to do. This is the mother of Batgirl, she has to be headstrong and self aware. She isn't a damsel in distress. Actually that's all I want. I want someone who is strong enough to fight the good fight instead of a speed bump. I do like the actress, just clean up the story lines. Strong women make for better characters I.E Machoine, Harriet Winslow, and anyone that Keira Knightly plays. 

6. Future rouges should be handled very carefully. There is going to come a point in this show where someone min creative might be feeling the pressure from fox and might jump the gun with some of Batman's rouges to spike the ratings up. Well, I totally get that but some villains do not exist with out ... You know who I am talking about. Let's not play dumb. He's a pretty cool and captivating character. But he simply can't be there yet or in the way we know him. If they want to start the Red hood robberies next season. I would 100% be on bored. But handle with care. 
7.  I wouldn't mind seeing a Victor  and Nora Freese  story line in the show. Victor could be an old Army buddy of Gordon. Let's play this out a tad. So Gordon and Barbra make up their diffs and Gordon gets a call from an old pal who has just moved to town to work for Gothcorp. He'll could be Gordon's morale compass. So when the shit gets too much. Old Vic will give Jim a solid pep talk and get his head right. Then later Barbra can set up Victor with Nora and they can do their shit off camera. But just to show that they exist, that's all I want. Heart of ice is the best Batman animated series episode.

8. More Alfred and Bullock interactions. If you saw the mid season finale you'd know what I mean. Sean Pentwee and Donal Logue are really good in their roles so having them work together more and have a small relationship would keep the lines between the Wayne estate and GCPD's resident good guys would be nice. 

 Umm. So I think that's it. These are just my opinion for a show I see tremendous potential in. I want to hear what you guys think of the show, what you like / dislike and if there is anything you'd want to see. I do live tweet this show every week. But since it's off until January it looks like I will be live tweeting Monday night football or my boredom. I am @Bpmcc17 if you want to follow.
Just dance baby.... Just dance !
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment