Wednesday, May 22, 2013

XBOX One: Entertainment System

XBOX ONE: Entertainment System

If you are a gamer yesterday was a big day.  Microsoft announced their new gaming console the XBOX ONE.  The event took place yesterday as a one hour TV infomercial on Spike TV.  The majority of the time was used to show off  TV integration and Sports with about 10 minutes towards the end dedicated to one game, Call Of Duty.  All in all, I was impressed/loved the TV integration with the XBOX and how I could use Kinect to change channels or hop from the Internet to TV to Games to Netflix.  That system is something I hope we see more of in the future, hell I hope Sony has something similar with the PS4!  But with all the good the XBOX ONE reveal did it still left a lot of questions without answers and that worries me.


Is the Kinect always on?

In some form, yes.  Your new XBOX overlord will always be watching, waiting, and stalking you. It is going to be weird to have a camera with a direct link to the internet on in my room at all times.  It is kind of creepy.  But here is the kicker.  You need the Kinect in order for the XBOX ONE to even work.  If your Kinect breaks  your XBOX ONE turns into a big, probably $300+ paperweight.

Does the XBOX ONE need to be connected the internet at all times?

No, but if want to get all that you can out of the XBOX you should be connected to the internet.  In the Official XBOX ONE FAQ it states "No, it does not have to be always connected, but XBOX ONE does require a connection to the internet.  We're designing XBOX ONE to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready.  We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection."

Will I be able to play used games on the XBOX ONE?

Yes, but for a price.  The price is still not clear, but all you need to know is there will be one.  So if you buy a used game at $45 it is entirely possible that the used game fee could be $15, which would completely negate buying a used game.

So while I am pumped for the XBOX ONE I still have my reservations.  Microsoft and Sony  have all eyes on them, E3 is the battlefield, who will be the winner?

The Truth


XBOX or Playstation fanboy and want to contact me? @Nick_Willy You can yell at me and tell me you are going to fuck my mom and hack my account.



No comments:

Post a Comment