Sunday, April 14, 2013

Going Paleo

Hey Bitches!!  How y'all doing??  Hope you guys had a great spring holiday season!!  LOL.  I did, thanks for asking!  So, after Lent which is something Catholics participate in before Easter, where one gives up something that they do or use in everyday life to make themselves worthy for Jesus' sacrifice on Easter.  (wow who knew I knew that much about religion!)  Well I gave up all types of soda; and it felt so good not having it, that I decided not to start drinking it again once Easter came and went.  Plus, bonus score of not drinking soda and all of those empty calories I lost 10 pounds.

 So, with that jump start I decided to look around to find out what else out there I could do to keep this weight thing going in the right direction.  Being overweight my whole life I have tried every diet and diet pill there has been out there.  All of which I have rationalized my way out of, but I recently have been making some major life changes and I made the decision that I needed to once again make diet style change.  Not drinking soda lead me to not eating fast food, which I must say its amazing how simply cutting that out of your life makes a huge difference.  In sticking with that motion I looked around and was looking at carb free or carb moderate diets.  Of course, the standards popped up again Atkins and South Beach, but then I found this whole other community Paleo.  On further research, b/c I become a cyber stalker on things I am interested in, I felt that this could be a possible life style choice for me.  After going through everything I asked my brother  Bryan if he would try this with me, b/c everything is easier when you have someone to go through it with.  He said yes, and we were on our way to a Paleo lifestyle.


I know most of you are like what the fuck is the Paleo life style.  To quote the most reputable site out there Wikipedia, Paleo is "The paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet,Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years which ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture and grain-based diets. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet"  Now to break that down into someone who is looking at what food they can or cannot eat, Paleo at its most basic form is "The Paleolithic diet consists of foods that can be hunted and fished, such as meat, offal and seafood, and can be gathered, such as eggs, insects, fruit, nuts, seeds, vegetables, mushrooms, herbs and spices. Some sources advise eating only lean cuts of meat, free of food additives, preferably wild game meats and grass-fed beef since they contain higher levels of omega-3 fats compared with grain-produced domestic meats.  Food groups that advocates claim were rarely or never consumed by humans before the Neolithic (agricultural) revolution are excluded from the diet, mainly grains, legumes (e.g. beans and peanuts), dairy products, salt, refined sugar and processed oils,although some advocates consider the use of oils with low omega-6/omega-3 ratios, such as olive oil and canola oil, to be healthy and advisable"  Sorry for all the quoting but sometimes when you read it some where and it sounds just how you want it to you run with it.  (So get off my ass!! LOL).  





Starting this life style wasn't as hard as I thought it was.  Mostly, it was just shopping with a different mind set.  My normal shopping just involved a lot of frozen food, and of course shit foods, which changed to fresh fruit and veggies.  Cutting the gluten (which is the "glue" that holds starches together like in flour) and moderating the carbs was not that bad.  There are so many options out there that are not just salads.  Cutting out the dairy, which I thought was going to be the hardest thing to do; honestly I don't even miss it.  Sure, I miss cheese and putting milk in my coffee (which coffee is allowed THANK GOD, bc try getting up at 5 am and working a 12 hour shift as a Pediatric ICU nurse without coffee YIKES)  but, I have discovered the wonder of almond milk, (unsweetened vanilla if you were wondering).  To be completely honest the hardest part was cutting peanut butter out of my life.  Almond butter is good but just is not the same.  I have officially been doing the diet for about 2 weeks now, and in general I feel a lot better, so it's true eating better foods make you feel better!!  Well now that was shocking.  The other fun part of the diet is it allows for some alcohol, so it makes it the perfect diet!!!.  LOL.  I know there are a couple of you going "Oh, look another gay guy going off carbs!!"  And to that I say fuck yeah bitch, and I'm one upping you No dairy!!!  Humans are the only animals that after infancy consume diary, to top that off diary from another species.  You don't feed your dog breast milk do you??  Why are we all drinking cow's breast milk??  (Enter dairy lovers shocked faces!)


Well, Im gonna keep you updated throughout my journey of Paleo, maybe make it a sounding board for any of you that want to try, or already are following.  Would love to trade recipes, and trails and tribulations through the conversion!!!


 So thanks again for stopping by and reading my blog.  As usual don't forget you can follow me on twitter @bigq1118 on instgram @bigq1118 and  vine once again @bigq1118.  Don't forget to like on Facebook underrated heroes . Later Bitches!!!!


Thank you Wikipedia for the quotes!!!

1 comment:

  1. agree with the dairy point, can't wait for another installment!

    ReplyDelete