Sunday, March 17, 2013

Hangover TV

I was super excited to head to NYC for the St. Patty's Day Parade...until I woke up with a massive hangover on Saturday morning. Whoops! So I nursed my hangover with some TV (some of it good, some of it mindless), which brings me to the topic for today's post: mindlessly entertaining TV shows. Maybe I should say "show," because I am only going to talk about one TV show: 1600 Penn




I randomly came across this show on Hulu when I was desperate for something to watch. It's only 30 minutes long and most of the time it's funny. Here's how NBC describes it: 

"The Gilchrists are just the average American family dealing with all the everyday issues, like a grown kid who's forced to move back home, teenagers who are smarter than their teachers and a stepmom desperately trying to win over the kids. They're loving, fun and a little crazy. In other words, just like everyone else - with one exception: they live in a very special house. The White House!"

It's a not-so-great description, but I'm going to give some credit to the writer because there's no way you can describe this show that would make people want to watch it (hence the copy and paste on my part). I actually went and read some reviews (they were mixed) before I decided to watch it, because I was not convinced. After watching the show, all I can say about the plot is that the the First Family is dysfunctional. 

Here's what I like about the show. Warning: there are a few spoilers below, but it doesn't matter since the show doesn't really have a plot. 
  • It's an original idea. There have been a fair amount of shows about the White House recently (Scandal and House of Cards are good), but none of them have been comedies. I like that 1600 Penn is a bit different - the creators have made the First Lady a stepmother and the First Daughter gets knocked up (plot points people!) 
    Check out them guns. 
  • Jenna Elfman is hilarious. I never watched Dharma and Greg, so I wasn't familiar with her acting. She nails it as the neurotic First Lady (she's even got Michelle Obama's famously toned arms). One of the best characters in the show. 
Does this picture annoy you?
Then Skip Gilchrist will
probably annoy you too.
  • The other actors are good too. Josh Gad plays Skip, the bumbling son who gets kicked out of school in the first episode and is brought back to live at the White House. He's the typical bumbling slacker. There are moments when his schtik gets old (I skipped one episode because he was irritating me), and it perpetuates the overweight, sloppy slacker stereotype Hollywood loves, but it works. Bill Pullman is funny as the President who's often stuck in the middle of family disagreements. The kids are whatever, but the Press Secretary is a good character. Basically, the best characters are the First Lady, the President, the guy who knocks up the First Daughter, and the Press Secretary.
  • Becca's one night stand/baby daddy looks just like my first boyfriend. I swear, I dated this guy in high school. He needs to be in the show more often, so I can laugh about it. 
I think he even had the same shirt. 
1600 Penn is by no means a show you want to sit down and watch live. It's not worth the effort. Watch it when you're bored, hungover, sick, or desperate. Hell, you can even skip an episode or two. With that said, I have actually LOLed on more than one occasion, which is good enough for me. 

Have you watched 1600 Penn? Let me know what you think on Twitter @Marb_Reds

No comments:

Post a Comment