Thursday, February 14, 2013

Life Changing Songs

Battling depression is by far one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. Over the past few years I have gotten many different excuses...chemical imbalance, things are just down now, it'll get better. All of these sayings did nothing for me, but only one thing has truly spoken to me. Music is one thing i am really passionate about, and can't live a day without. Bands releasing songs and albums that seem to have been made just for me and what I'm going through, as if they knew it was happening. As Andrew already posted about bands and albums on the uprising, I figured I would do the opposite...I'm going to review a few songs that have helped me through the hardest times in my lifetime and are extremely meaningful to me. Much like Andrew, I am a big fan of Pop Punk, Hardcore...but Ska and Punk is something I am really into. If you have the time to check these bands out, maybe you will find a song you like as well as maybe a band you can get hooked into.

1. Streetlight Manifesto - A Better Place a Better Time.
   This song is one that I can say truly saved my life during the worst few months I could have had. Back in 2011 I was very depressed and felt like I was going no where. Hours on end spent trying to find self worth while coming up short and failing. One thing lead to another and I was planning to attempt suicide, the idea was sickening to me but I felt I had no other out. I grabbed my iPod and turned it on shuffle and walked out of the house heading towards the train station down the block from my house. As I'm approaching the station, about a block away this song comes on. Never hearing it and forgetting I had put the album on my iPod I started to listen way more closely as the chorus kicked in. Tears started to run down my face because it felt like the band was talking to me. Sure the song is about a girl, but the meaning behind the lyrics applied to myself at the time, which really made me think. Stumbling to the curb and sitting down, burying my face into my hands after I put the song on repeat just to keep listening to it. My head was spinning with the fact that this song was so right. I turned to go back home, and it turns out they were right...A few months later I woke up in a better place, in a better time.

                                    Just pay attention to the lyrics, and the crowd at the same time.

2. The Wonder Years - Local Man Ruins Everything.
    With lyrics that every TWY fan loves to scream at the top of their lungs, "I'm not a self help book, I'm just a fucked up kid." this song easily made me realize I wasn't alone with my struggles. This explained my life because for a long time no one understood what I was going through, I could find much more of an answer then "I guess I'm just a fucked up kid". I am shell of what people expect and believe me to be, so nobody really got the fact that I was depressed. The true reason why I picked this song was because of (in my opinion the best advice I have ever received  the lyrics "It's not about forcing happiness, It's about not letting sadness win." Boom. That is a lyric that if you sit back, and think about...you will definitely add that to your list of life advice.

3.Big D and the Kids Table - LAX.
    As somebody who doesn't make that much money and needs to support himself, as well as buying things to keep my life interesting; this song correctly depicts how I feel about the kids who get everything they want without earning any of it. Whenever and whatever they want mommy and daddy are always there to make sure they get it. Being a paintball player it is very annoying to go up against young kids who have $1000 markers and easily $500 worth of equipment while I am using a $300 gun with barely $500 worth of stuff. This song is a pump up song for me, as well as an anthem for kids who have to earn their own living.
4. Brand New - Seventy Times Seven.
   The first lines of this song is one of the most truthful things that have ever graced my ears.
"Back in school they never taught us 
what we needed to know 
Like how to deal with despair 
or someone breaking your heart"
r graced my ears.This proves one of my biggest problems in life, for 14 years of my life I was taught everything with the intention of preparing me for "the real world"...I believed this until I experienced what it was like to have a broken dream due to a failed relationship, or watching my best friend run away with the girl I loved (surprisingly that's what this song is about). The sudden turn of anger, and wishing a very painful death was a perfect fit for this song and the place I was in last year. Once you hear "Is that what you call a getaway", start listening.

Easily one of my favorite bands of all time, their lyrics leak with heart,truth,hate and anger. This song helped me realize that through all of my relationship and girl problems...I am not alone, other people have been lied to, fucked over, broken down, and destroyed. Sometimes it is really comforting to know that someone else has gone through the same problems, yet turned their life around and started one of the best pop punk bands around. There is ALWAYS hope.


One tattoo that I have always, and still plan on getting is the quote "I will never falter, I'll stand my ground." These lyrics have stuck with me through the thick and thin. For way to long I let people walk all over me, and do what they wanted with my feelings and take advantage of me. These lyrics helped me change. Their are people who I pushed out of my life because of this song when they should have never been in my life in the first place.


My last song is one that has spoken alot to me because the lyrics are exactly where I stand on loyalty and family.

Not only is this one of the songs I call Andrews song (his gamer tag is a weird stupid spelling on this song, (while the other song is A is for Andrew, for obvious reasons)) but it really relates to my friendships and how close I am with the people I hold closest to me. I have seven friends that I stopped calling them my "best friends" or my "close friends" because I consider them two things; brothers, and family. Everyone of them I would take a bullet for, risk my life, or do anything to help them. Jack, John, Nick, Andrew,Vinny, Matt, and Mike are the guys that no matter how long I have known them, they have always been their for me as well as made it feel like I have known them forever. These guys might as well came out of my mothers vagina with me, because that's how I view them. The lyrics in this song; "How do you expect me to trust you, when everything you say is a lie...I'm sticking up for my friends I can count on, This is loyalty...This is a family." helped me realize that my friends who are loyal to me are the only things I need in my life...Everyone else is always looking out for themselves.


Hopefully these songs can change your views like it did my own, and in the end you become fans of this incredible bands that I listen to day in and day out. I hope you all stuck and read through this heartfelt post, and you all have a great Valentines Day! Follow me on twitter, ask me questions or just write to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment