Sunday, February 10, 2013

3 Anime You Should Watch

"Look at me pass a shit for 30 minutes"
As many of my close friends and family know when I like something I go all in for that particular thing. Much like a catholic priest,  I just can't help myself.  The first Anime that I watched was probably the same as yours, it was Dragon Ball Z on the old Toonami Action Block.  Dragon Ball Z follows around a character named Goku, who now when I look back on it was probably mentally challenged, he was pretty much the Japanese equivalent to Superman in both origin story and a majority of his superpowers.  But Since that day, I have moved on and accepted that DBZ was at best, hot garbage.  That doesn't change what DBZ did for me though, and that was to introduce me to Anime in general.

With that out of the way I can now move forward with my main goal that I hope to accomplish by writing this blog. That is to either A. Get you to try one of these shows or B. Get you into Anime.  The latter is really a pipe dream because at this point a lot of people have made up their minds on Anime in general. For those who I can't convert I am sorry you are totally missing out. I will list several Anime shows in this blog that I have come to love over my short life, in their listing I will have a general plot summary and my personal feelings on the show.  Lets get this show on the road.


CODE GEASS

After invading Japan using giant robot weapons called Knightmares, the powerful Empire of Britannia takes over the country and renames it "Area 11" and its people, "Elevens." In the socially stratified society, the Japanese are forced to live poor, suppressed lives while the Briannians are respected and live lavishly. Although rebel groups of Japanese do rise up, they are usually crushed by Britannia forces.
When his mother is assassinated, former prince of Britannia Lelouch renounces his entitlement to the throne and accuses his unconcerned father, the king of Britannia, of leaving his mother defenseless. After being banished to Japan along with his sister Nunnally (who became blind and unable to walk after getting caught up in their mother's violent assassination), Lelouch swears to his best friend Suzaku that he will destroy Britannia some day. Years later, while hiding out in Area 11 and attending the Britannian school Ashford Academy, Lelouch accidentally gets caught up in a terrorist raid on a military secret; that "secret" ends up being a mysterious girl named C.C., and when Lelouch unwittingly discovers her, she grants him the power of Geass, which allows him to control anyone just by looking into their eyes. At the same time, Lelouch also discovers that Suzaku is now working for the Britannia military, the very military that Lelouch is hoping to destroy.
With the power of Geass now at his disposal, Lelouch creates his own rebel group called Order of the Black Nights. Giving himself the alias "Zero" and keeping his true identity a secret, Lelouch and his rebel group set out to destroy the Empire of Britannia and restore the rights of the Japanese. Suzaku also wishes to put an end to Britannia's oppressive reign, but unlike Lelouch, he believes it should be done in the least destructive way - by justly following the rules and rising up to a position of power where one can make a difference. This conflict of ideals causes the former best friends to become enemies. No matter how much destruction he causes or even if he has to take the lives of others along the way, Lelouch is determined to use his rebel group and his Geass power to destroy the unjust society and create the peaceful world that his sister Nunnally desires


My ThoughtsYes that is straight from Wikipedia, I am a lazy fuck what did you expect. But  if that little plot summary doesn't at least make you want to watch the first episode I do not know what will. Maybe me at gun point?  Nah not that I don't have the money or resources to bend people to my will it's just too much work. Code Geass is a serious show for people who like to think.  It covers topics such as racism, politics, culture, and so on, it tackles all of them really well.  Great characters make a great story and Code Geass has a litany of great characters. This show is super serious but it also has "fan service" that is just a less creepy way to put that the animators put some stuff in for the pervs.  It doesn't hamper the show though because it isn't overbearing and it is sparely used. Also the show has some of the best mech action scenes I have had the privilege of watching,  The animation is smooth and crisp.   If you give this show a shot you will be in for a great emotional roller coaster ride, you won't regret it.



FLCL/Fooly Cooly
FLCL revolves around Naota Nandaba, a 12-year-old, working class boy living with his widower father and grandfather. His life in the city of Mabase is interrupted by the arrival of Haruko Haruhara, who runs over Naota with her Vespa scooter, gives him CPR, then hits him on the head with a blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar.[2][3] Naota discovers that the blow to his head created a N.O. portal, from which giant robots produced by a company known as Medical Mechanica emerge periodically.
Naota later finds Haruko working in his house as a live-in maid. It is later discovered that Haruko is an investigator for the Galactic Space Police Brotherhood. Haruko uses Naota for her search for the Pirate King, Atomsk. She is at odds with Medical Mechanica, a monolithic industrial corporation. Naota is being watched by Commander Amarao, who believes that Medical Mechanica is out to conquer the galaxy. Naota is therefore drawn into a three-way battle between Haruko, Amarao and Medical Mechanica.

My Thoughts - You can reread that plot summary and you will never fucking understand, hell after I watched the show 3 times I still had no idea what was going on.  FLCL wacky and at 6 episodes long it is short as well,  I have this on the list because it is random as FUCK.  In one of the episodes the Dad is dressed up as a Nazi and tries to hunt down his own kid in a gun battle. Giant robots come out of Naota's head. There's a magical vespa and portions of the show switch to south park animation at random.  Even with all this crazy shit going down the creators managed to throw in a great coming of age story.  One that helped me out a bit when I was teen.  Lastly the music is top notch, the whole show feels like a 30 minute  music video about a boy who's life goes from completely normal to bat shit crazy. (all six episodes are like this)

BACCANO!
I am not going to post a plot synopsis from Wikipedia on this one because it was pure spoilers and I don't spoil nuttin'.  Baccano! how I love thee  The story takes place in Manhatten in the 1930's and what happens on board the transcontinental train The Flying Pussfoot, I am not being cheeky that is the name of the train, the events of the story unfold in a manner like a Quentin Tarantino film. The film in question would be Pulp Fiction.  That is pretty high praise from me comparing this to Pulp Fiction but the stories intertwine in such a perfect way that I can't help but compare the two. Also Baccano! is a goddamn bloodbath and is not for the weak of heart.  If you are a someone that is a squeamish douche do not bother watching this.    The voice overs are well done since Baccano! takes place in the good ole USA and there really is nothing that could be called creepy or lost in translation which is the case for a lot of Anime programs.  If you like Pulp Fiction you'll like this out of this entire list I think this one is the most accessible show.


Well there you have it 3 shows that you should watch or atleast give a chance to. I will be disappointed, like we all were when we found out Santa was fake, if you don't watch anything.  I just want to let you know that I have a wide array of skills that I have gotten over the years from being the best in my profession and if you do not watch one these shows I will hunt you down......and bitch at you.  Till next time.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment